Standards development organization:
Standard Development Activity:
- Proceeding to development
Comment period start date:
Comment period end date:
This clause of part 1 is replaced by:
This Standard deals with the safety of electric storage water heaters for household and similar purposes and intended for heating water below boiling temperature, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
So far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances which are encountered by all persons in and around the home.
This Standard does not in general take into account
- the use of appliances by young children or infirm persons without supervision
- playing with the appliance by young children.
1 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used at high altitudes, additional requirements may be necessary
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary
- for appliances intended to be used in tropical countries, special requirements may be necessary
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities;
- in many countries regulations exist for the installation of equipment connected to the water mains.
2 This Standard does not apply to
- appliances for boiling water (IEC 60335-2-15)
- instantaneous water heaters (IEC 60335-2-35)
- commercial electric water boilers and liquid heaters (IEC 60335-2-63)
- commercial dispensing appliances and vending machines (IEC 60335-2-75)
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).