Standards development organization:
Standard Development Activity:
- Proceeding to development
SDO Comment period end date:
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This International Standard deals with the safety of stationary electric cooking ranges, hobs, ovens and similar appliances for household use, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances connected between one phase and neutral, and 480 V for other appliances.
This International Standard also includes some requirements for ovens that are intended to be used on board ships.
NOTE 101 Examples of appliances that are within the scope of this standard are
– induction hobs;
– induction wok elements;
– pyrolytic self-cleaning ovens;
– steam ovens.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
– persons (including children) whose • physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 102 Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
NOTE 103 This standard does not apply to
– appliances intended for commercial catering;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
– grills, toasters and similar portable cooking appliances (IEC 60335-2-9);
– microwave ovens (IEC 60335-2-25).
SDO Comment period start date: