Standards development organization:
Standard Development Activity:
- Proceeding to development
SDO Comment period start date:
SDO Comment period end date:
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric dishwashers for household and similar purposes that are intended for washing and rinsing dishes, cutlery and other utensils, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
Appliances intended for normal household and similar use and that may also be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard. However, if the appliance is intended to be used professionally for washing and rinsing dishes and cutlery and other utensils that are used for commercial purposes, the appliance is not considered to be for household and similar use only.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
- physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
- lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 101 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
NOTE 102 This Standard does not apply to
- commercial electric dishwashing machines (IEC 60335-2-58);
- appliances intended for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).