Standards development organization:
Standard Development Activity:
- Proceeding to development
SDO Comment period start date:
SDO Comment period end date:
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This International Standard deals with the safety of
- stand alone electric spin extractors, and
- spin extractors incorporated in washing machines that have separate containers for washing and spin extraction for household and similar purposes that have a capacity not exceeding 10 kg of dry cloth and a drum peripheral speed not exceeding 50 m/s, their rated voltages being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as spin extractors intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, and spin extractors for communal use in blocks of flats or in launderettes are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances which are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
- physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
- lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 101 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
NOTE 102 This Standard does not apply to
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).