Standards development organization:
Standard Development Activity:
- Proceeding to development
SDO Comment period start date:
SDO Comment period end date:
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric deep fat fryers having a recommended maximum quantity of oil not exceeding 5 l, frying pans, woks and other appliances in which oil is used for cooking, and intended for household use and similar use, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
Appliances intended for normal household and similar use and that may also be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms are within the scope of this standard. However, if the appliance is intended to be used professionally to process food for commercial consumption, the appliance is not considered to be for household and similar use only.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
* physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
* lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 101 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
NOTE 102 This standard does not apply to
- deep fat fryers for commercial use (IEC 60335-2-37);
- commercial multi-purpose cooking pans (IEC 60335-2-39);
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).