To protect the health and safety of Canadians, standards must be reviewed and updated regularly.
Effective and current standards respond to technological and commercial advancements, support federal regulations and help keep us safe.
The Standards Council of Canada (SCC) takes a lead role to ensure standards in regulations are up to date. Bringing together federal departments, SCC led an interdepartmental risk assessment and prioritization exercise in 2012. The result was the development of a collaborative process for updating standards of greatest relevance to Canada.
SCC has been using an additional $2.1 million in annual government funding, received under Canada’s Economic Action Plan, for this initiative. SCC allocates funds to its accredited standards development organizations for the development of National Standards of Canada. SCC’s funding ensures that updated standards are available for government and industry use in Canada.
Leading standards priorities in Canada, SCC will continue to help key federal departments find ways to ensure ongoing monitoring and maintenance of standards important to Canada’s regulatory agenda.
Principal funding areas:
- Storage Standards for Industrial Explosives
- User’s Manual for Quantity Distance Principle
- Organic Production Systems General Principles and Management Standards
- Organic Production Systems Permitted Substances Lists
- Packaging of Infectious Substances, Diagnostic Specimens, Biological Products and Biomedical Waste for Transport
- Design, Manufacture and Use of Intermediate Bulk Containers for the Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- Nonvolumetric Leak Detection Devices for Underground Flammable Liquid Storage Tanks
- Double Containment Fibre Reinforced Plastic Linings for Flammable and Combustible Liquid Storage Tanks
- Leak Detection Devices (Volumetric type) for Underground Flammable Liquid Storage Tanks
- Concrete Encased Steel Aboveground Tank Assemblies for Flammable and Combustible Liquids
- Standard for Steel Underground Tanks for Flammable and Combustible
- Canadian Standard Textile Test Methods, Method of Test for Flame Resistance – Methenamine Tablet Test
- Colour Fastness and Dimensional Change in Domestic Laundering of Textiles
- Thinner for Vinyl Coatings
- High Solvency Thinner
- Solvent for Vinyl Pretreatment Coating
- Petroleum Spirits Thinner
- General Purpose Thinner For Lacquers
- Thinner, Antiblush, for Cellulose Nitrate Lacquer
- Ethylene Glycol, Uninhibited
- Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Technical Grade
- Offset Lithographic Printing Ink
- Acetone, Technical