Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply using the form below.
To prepare and coordinate, in co-operation with other TC/SCs, the development of international standards and other deliverables with emphasis on overall system aspects of electricity supply systems and acceptable balance between cost and quality for the users of electrical energy. Electricity supply system encompasses transmission and distribution networks and connected user installations (generators and loads) with their network interfaces .
The following list contains a couple of examples on system related aspects and elements belonging to the overall process of electricity supply. The purpose of this non-exhaustive list is to illustrate, in which fields expertise is required within TC8, in order to enable the committee to properly fulfil its given task. It is not meant to be a list of items to be standardised.
Examples for main system aspects to be taken into account are the following:
Electrical system reliability
- operating limits (capability),
- system security.
- system characteristics,
- system planning data (different opportunities for connection)
- load/generation balance,
- protection and control,
- fault management,
- contingency planning,
- management of abnormal and emergency conditions (black-out, islanding).
- measurement and monitoring
- operational safety,
Data exchange and balancing
- data acquisition and aggregation,
- exchange of data, identification schemes,
- load profiles.
- operational safety,
Charging mechanisms for use of public supply systems
Outsourcing of network related services
Characteristics of energy supply
- Nominal values and ranges of variation of voltages, currents and frequencies of generation, transmission, distribution and utilisation systems.
- Parameters defining characteristics of energy supply (continuity, voltage dips, over/under voltages, voltage unbalance, voltage fluctuations, harmonics, inter-harmonics) at the interfaces between HV, MV and LV networks and their users- (system operators, generators and consumers)
TC 8 has a system function, having to deal with system aspects of electrical energy supply. However, by definition, TC 8 has also a horizontal function which is limited to the items mentioned under Characteristics of energy supply (voltage frequency and current and all their parameters) in order to prepare basic publications and ensure the consistency of the IEC publications in these fields.
* This committee is overseen by one of SCC’s partner organizations, which will process your application and onboarding. Our partner organization will advise on next steps.
Apply to this committee:
Thank you for your interest in becoming a subject matter expert representing Canada on its mirror committee to the international technical committee of ISO or IEC. As a member, you will have the opportunity to network with experts from different backgrounds, gain access to industry insights, trends and best practices that will help your professional development. You will also explore how standardization can help your industry and engage in general knowledge and information exchange that can provide a competitive edge to your organization along with strengthening your organization's ability to compete.
Your application submission is the first step in the SCC's recruitment process. At this time, we invite you to review below the next steps in our application process.
Step 1: SCC's Member Services reviews the application package, and if required contacts the applicant for additional information or clarification on any information submitted.
Step 2: Member Services screens the applicant for suitability. Should the applicant not be suitable, Member Services will contact and inform the applicant of the results.
Step 3: Should the applicant be suitable; Member Services will contact and inform the applicant of the results.
Step 4: Successful applicants will proceed to SCC's onboarding process.
You are required to complete the form below, as part of the application process. Please include your curriculum vitae (CV) and a cover letter describing how your qualifications align with the committee's scope, how your experience will contribute to the work of the committee, what you hope to achieve as a participant and confirmation of the available resources (time and financial) to participate on the committee.
Notes for consideration:
- All fields are mandatory
- Résumé - Must identify any experience related to standards development or use..
- Cover letter - Must include how your qualifications/experience align with the scope and work programme of the committee; and confirmation of the available resources, both time and financial, to participate on the committee.
- There is no compensation for this position.
- Committee work activity, communications and related resources managed by the committee are not provided in both official languages.