The Standards Council of Canada (SCC) is inviting young electrotechnology professionals to apply to attend the 9th Annual International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Young Professionals Workshop in Busan, Republic of Korea from October 22-24, 2018. The annual workshop provides the next generation of standards experts with an understanding of IEC’s standardization and conformity assessment work.
Contest winners will have the opportunity to:
- Represent Canada at the IEC Young Professional Workshop in Busan, Republic of Korea (includes airfare, hotel and expenses).
- Learn about IEC’s standards development processes and Conformity Assessment (CA) Systems.
- Network with electrotechnical professionals from around the world (over one thousand international delegates attend the IEC General Meeting).
- Contribute and present positions developed by young professionals to IEC management.
- Observe and participate in technical meetings to see how standards are developed.
- Observe IEC management committee meetings to develop a better understanding of policy decision-making in standardization.
- Become a member of the Canadian Young Professional Advisory Panel.
- Boost your industry’s participation in standards development or conformity assessment activities.
- Cultivate a long-term involvement in national and international standards forums.
- Help build the future of global standardization and conformity assessment.
Who is eligible?
Managers, engineers and technicians aged 20-35 who are looking to get more involved in IEC-related activities, with the following qualifications:
- Education and experience in electric or electronic engineering/technology.
- Experience developing or working with standards or involvement in conformity assessment activities.
- Experience working for a company, business or industry that uses, benefits or contributes to national or international standardization.
Applicants are required to submit the following information:
- Name, Title and Organization
- A brief statement about your organization’s products and/or services, as well as your role within the organization.
- A description of your involvement within standards development activities or conformity assessment activities that most affects your job responsibilities.
- A brief explanation of how standards impact innovation within your organization (examples: environment, climate change, smart grid, smart energy, etc.).
- A brief explanation of why you should be selected as SCC’s Young Professional representative for 2018.
Applications may be submitted in any of the following ways:
- Email: Send application to email@example.com using “IEC Young Professionals 2018” in the subject line.
- Twitter: Post an image, video or document to @StandardsCanada using the #IECYP hashtag.
- YouTube: Send video to firstname.lastname@example.org. SCC will post the winning video entry to the StandardsCanada YouTube channel.
- Facebook: Post your application to “Standards Council of Canada” Facebook page using the #IECYP hashtag.
The deadline to submit an application is April 13, 2018. A winner will be selected by May 4, 2018. The winning candidate will be featured in a news article published at www.scc.ca.
To learn more:
- Listen to what Polad Zahedi, the 2016 and 2017 Canadian Young Professional representative, had to say about this opportunity:
- Watch the 2015 winning video from Dustin Tessier of TESCO: