Consider standards at the start of your journey towards commercialization
Standards define a benchmark for the design and development of robust innovations. Standards are published specifications that ensure the reliability of materials, products, methods, and services people use. They are established by consensus and approved by a recognized body, such as the Standards Council of Canada. Standards are based on consolidated subject matter expertise to promote optimum community benefits.
With standardization, Canada’s innovations reach new heights globally and at home. Since standards reflect the views of individuals who develop them, they help innovators shape their industry, access new markets, raise the bar, and create a legacy.
Innovators also achieve commercialization through standardization, allowing them to scale up their companies, reduce development cost, and increase revenue—particularly when it incorporates protected intellectual property.
- Create new markets
- Drive innovation and improve productivity
- Influence marketplace rules
- Secure market access
- Protect and exploit intellectual property
So how does the Standards Council of Canada help?
The Innovation Initiative of the Standards Council of Canada guides, facilitates, and collaborates with innovators every step of the way along the path to standardization—both nationally and globally.
We work with Canadian innovators to...
- Identify the most promising innovations that would benefit from international standardization
- Build the case internationally as to why Canada should be entrusted with leadership in developing the relevant standards
- Garner support from key standardization partners and obtain approval for new work item proposals
- Select and support credible Canadian innovators to be elected as chairs or secretaries of relevant technical committees in order to manage and guide the standards drafting process
- Support Canadian innovators to better leverage their technology’s intellectual property to influence standards
- Design supportive international certification and accreditation programmes to facilitate international market access and regulatory compliance once standards are published
- Engage Canadian regulators to ensure new standards supporting Canadian innovations are referenced in relevant federal, provincial, and territorial regulations and in procurement where appropriate
We’re particularly interested in emergent industry sectors where a lot of innovation—and consequently standardization—is happening. These include Artificial Intelligence, Data, and Internet of Things; Cybersecurity and Information Communications Technology; Clean-Tech, Agri-Tech, and Ocean-Tech; Advanced Manufacturing, Autonomous Vehicles, and Robotics; and Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, and Digital Technologies.
Food and Agriculture/Protein
+1 613 238 3222, ext. 310
Consumer Product Safety/Ocean Supercluster
+1 613 238 3222, ext. 307
SCALE.AI/AI/Big Data, Health/Bio-sciences
+1 613 238 3222, ext. 324
Brendan Mc Manus
Advanced Manufacturing/Next Generation
+1 613 238 3222, ext. 430
+1 613 238 3222, ext. 388