Cannabis standards development championed by Canadian industry has a unique opportunity to shape the future of this global market.
Canada is developing leading international standards for the legalized medical and recreational cannabis industry.
While cannabis is not new, globally legalization is still blossoming, and will create tremendous opportunities for Canadian industry. Standards play an important role in supporting industry compliance to Canadian regulations. They will influence the development of new products, formats and technologies and play a role in solidifying a regulated market for medical and recreational cannabis. International standards may also play a key role in determining access to future global markets.
Standards for cannabis are only one part of the equation. Legalization is also driving the need for standards in related areas, like cultivation techniques, quality testing, associated equipment and inventory management.
Emerging areas like cannabis edibles require new standardization guidelines. That’s why SCC is collaborating with government and industry to review and build on existing food safety management standards to ensure the quality and safety of edibles as the industry expands across the globe.
As an industry, cannabis offers early players and innovators the chance to influence standards, accreditation schemes and industry certifications. Doing so can help businesses:
- Create new markets and disrupt existing ones
- Drive the adoption of their products, technologies, and approaches in international markets
- Anticipate, influence and adapt to new market rules
- Drive innovation and productivity, and gain competitive advantages
Standards are not neutral. They are shaped and influenced by those who participate in their development. Companies that aim to innovate should have their say early on. Participating in standards development could help Canadian cannabis businesses access markets all over the world and secure global competitive advantages.
Interested in accreditation for a cannabis testing lab? Choose SCC to meet your need
What is the Standards Council of Canada (SCC) doing about standardization in the cannabis industry?
SCC is collaborating with a network of organizations that are developing standards for cannabis and cannabis products. For example, one is working on best practices, certifications, analytical methods and quality assurance systems for laboratories. Another is developing standards related to production and extraction.
- Participating in initiatives to develop international cannabis standards to ISO.
- Working to involve Canadian businesses, regulators and policy-makers in standardization discussions to ensure new standards reflect Canadian requirements.
- Providing strategic and technical support to companies to develop and implement standardization solutions.
I want to participate in developing cannabis standards. How do I get started?
SCC can provide strategic and technical support to innovative Canadian companies aimed at developing and advancing new standards solutions that can provide competitive advantages for Canadian industry. The cannabis standards in development now will influence the industry for years to come. Companies that aspire to be global leaders in the cannabis market should seize the opportunity to propose and contribute to the standards that will shape it. If you are an innovative Canadian company operating in the cannabis space, you might already be doing something that could be the basis for an industry standard. SCC can work with you to help you access opportunities to grow your business through standardization.
SCC can provide the following support to your company:
- Advancing the development of new standards, conformity assessment and certification schemes based on your commercial and competitive needs.
- Identifying opportunities for participation in standards development that support your business.
- Identifying opportunities to adopt standards that will increase productivity, competitiveness, and access to global markets
- Providing advice on corporate standardization and market access strategies
Reach out to SCC with your questions and suggestions. We can help you get involved in standards development, assist in identifying opportunities that support your business objectives and connect you with the organizations that are helping Canada be a global leader in the cannabis industry.