SCC is a Crown corporation of the Government of Canada, and part of the Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) portfolio. Its mandate, as described in the Standards Council of Canada Act, is to:
- promote the participation of Canadians in voluntary standards activities;
- promote public-private sector cooperation in relation to voluntary standardization in Canada;
- coordinate and oversee the efforts of the persons and organizations involved in the national standardization network;
- foster quality, performance and technological innovation in Canadian goods and services through standards-related activities, and
- develop standards-related strategies and long-term objectives,
In order to advance the national economy, support sustainable development, benefit the health, safety and welfare of workers and the public, assist and protect consumers, facilitate domestic and international trade and further international cooperation in relation to standardization.
SCC reports to Parliament through the Minister of ISED. Oversight is provided by the Governing Council which approves the strategic direction of the organization. SCC’s Governing Council is appointed by the federal government, and reports to Parliament through the Minister of ISED. It is composed of up to 13 members who represent a broad spectrum of stakeholder interests. Members review, approve and advise SCC on its strategic direction.
However, SCC does not have regulatory authority in its mandate. Any mandatory standards or specifications and related conformity assessment requirements should be reviewed with the proper federal, provincial or territorial regulatory authority.
SCC operates numerous programs and services to promote efficient and effective standardization. SCC does not develop standards or verify the conformity of products or services to standards but rather accredits the organizations that do. SCC also approves National Standards of Canada, represents Canada in international standards forums, and serves as Canada's key source for standardization information