The Standards Council of Canada offers an accreditation program for reference material producers (RMPs). RMPs are organizations that take responsibility for all aspects of the development, production, and optional certification of reference materials.
Accreditation program requirements for reference material producers are defined in ISO 17034:2016 General requirements for the competence of reference material producers.
Accredited reference material producers have demonstrated scientific and technical competence regarding the production and certification of reference materials allowing their customers to:
- assess and demonstrate the reliability of the data they produce
- provide known values to use in method validation and development
- identify areas where improvement in their testing and measurement methods is needed
- identify further training needs of staff
- foster confidence in the performance of their testing and measurements
- increase laboratory confidence in results
- provide a reference value to be used for quality control, such as control chart values
Learn about the steps to accreditation with SCC.