All accredited management systems certification bodies who are currently certifying organizations to ISO 22000:2005 Food safety management systems -- Requirements for any organization in the food chain must transition those certifications to ISO 22000:2018 Food safety management systems -- Requirements for any organization in the food chain by May 31st, 2021. In order to accomplish this, CBs must also ensure that their auditors have the appropriate training and expertise for the new standard.
Any other accredited CBs that are interested in obtaining accreditation to certify to the new ISO 22000 should contact their account manager about a scope extension.
CBs are required to submit a written transition plan to SCC which shall include, but is not limited to, the following items:
- high-level description of CB’s requirements to be met by their applicant and certified clients;
- mechanisms and timelines for transition of their clients to the revised ISO 22000:2018;
- plans for training auditors to the revised ISO 22000:2018 standard;
- evidence demonstrating auditor training to the ISO 22000:2018 standard;
- the date after which applications for certification to ISO 22000:2005 standard are no longer accepted by the CB;
- an outline of provisions in the case of unsuccessful transition by their clients.
Certification bodies, auditors, and assessors working (or interested in working) in the area of food safety management systems
As part of this transition, SCC will be providing training to its existing qualified assessors on the new standard. At the same time, CBs currently accredited for this program should start preparing a transition plan to convert their existing certifications over to ISO 22000.
ISO has prepared a brochure on the new standard, which is available here: https://www.iso.org/files/live/sites/isoorg/files/store/en/PUB100430.pdf
Other than the new ISO 22000, there are no additional new requirements at this time.
All transitions must be complete by May 31st, 2021. After that date, any ISO 22000:2005 certificates issued under SCC accreditation will no longer be valid.
Please contact Elias Rafoul, Vice President, Accreditation Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 613 238 3222 ext. 329 for more information.