The Standards Council of Canada takes its mandate from the Standards Council of Canada Act, its governing legislation:
The mandate of the Council is to promote efficient and effective voluntary standardization in Canada, where standardization is not expressly provided for by law and, in particular, to
- promote the participation of Canadians in voluntary standards activities,
- promote public-private sector cooperation in relation to voluntary standardization in Canada,
- coordinate and oversee the efforts of the persons and organizations involved in the National Standards System,
- foster quality, performance and technological innovation in Canadian goods and services through standards-related activities, and
- develop standards-related strategies and long-term objectives,
in order to advance the national economy, support sustainable development, benefit the health, safety and welfare of workers and the public, assist and protect consumers, facilitate domestic and international trade and further international cooperation in relation to standardization.
Subsection 4.(1), Standards Council of Canada Act,R.S., 1985, c. S-16, s. 5; 1996, c. 24, s. 4; 2011, c. 21, s.156, amended March 16, 2012
The Standards Council of Canada (SCC) leads and facilitates the development and use of national and international standards and accreditation services in order to enhance Canada's competitiveness and well-being.
Our mission involves working with our stakeholders and customers in promoting efficient and effective standardization that strengthens Canada’s competitiveness and social well-being. Everything we do is aimed at improving Canadians’ quality of life.
We will deliver our programs and services with consideration for the collective best interests of the many Canadians who benefit from standardization. This means upholding our reputation for advancing Canada’s standardization system and demonstrating its value to Canada.
To be a global leader driving prosperity and well-being for Canada through innovative standardization strategies.