The Standards and International Relations Branch facilitates Canada’s participation in the standards development activities of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), two of the world's largest voluntary standardization bodies. The branch also coordinates Canada’s interest in regional standards organizations such as:
- Pan American Standards Commission (COPANT),
- Pacific Area Standards Congress (PASC),
- Forum of the IEC National Committees of the Americas (FINCA) and,
- Réseau Normalisation et Francophonie (RNF).
In doing so, SCC engages in capacity building activities intended to strengthen the standardization infrastructures of key regional and international trade partners.
The Branch also:
- oversees Canadian standards development activities under SCC-accredited standards development organizations,
- sets recommended requirements used for the accreditation of standards development organization,
- provides process governance and guidance to ensure compliance with appropriate requirements for the development, adoption and publication of National Standards of Canada, and
- manages the sale of ISO and IEC standards and National Standards of Canada.
The Branch facilitates SCC’s discussions with the following panels and committees which are made up of regulatory, industry and consumer stakeholders, as well as other Canadian subject-matter experts.
- Canadian National Committee of the International Electrotechnical Commission (CANC/IEC) provides strategic advice on all matters related to the electrotechnical sector and provides guidance and oversight of the Canadian participation in IEC’s management and technical work ensuring that Canada’s interests are safeguarded.
- SCC’s Young Professionals Advisory Committee
- Secretariat services to the Standards Development Organizations Advisory Committee to fulfill SCC's mandate to provide accredited organizations with input into SCC's decisions on strategic and policy matters affecting members.