Reference Number: TE-CB-20
The Standards Council of Canada (SCC) is seeking technical experts in several fields related to the certification of products, processes and services.
Technical Experts play a key role in the assessment of certification bodies by applying their extensive technical expertise to evaluate the competence of personnel, and the conformity of processes. They will apply their considerable technical expertise by conducting file reviews, interviews with inspection body personnel and witness audits to support accreditation assessments.
At this time, SCC is seeking technical experts in the following technical areas. For more information on essential requirements in each area, please see below.
- Customer Service (Funeral Services)
- Wastewater Treatment Systems
- Hazardous Locations Equipment
- Paper Technology
- Agriculture Products
- Anesthetic and respiratory equipment’s (Ventilators)
- Works closely with the SCC personnel to determine the scope and criteria to be assessed
- Conducts interviews as part of a team, or independently, to assess the competence of personnel
- Reviews inspection records in order to assess evidence of conformity with relevant criteria
- Observes the work of inspection body personnel to assess the conformity to procedures and application of relevant criteria
- Reports to the Lead Assessor on findings and provides recommendations based on evidence
• Strong technical, analytical and review skills
• Excellent attention to detail
• Sound judgement and evaluation abilities
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Strong organizational and prioritization skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, both within an assessment team, and with customers
• Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Office applications, and web-based communications
• Ability to work independently or with limited supervision
• Ability to effectively represent SCC and follow SCC’s policies and procedures
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure
• Ability to work in French and English considered strong asset
• Availability to travel within Canada and the United States, occasionally on short notice
• Ability to work in a variety of industrial, commercial and manufacturing environments
• Legally entitled to work in Canada
Customer Service: Funeral Services:
- French essential (bilingual, English/French, preferred)
- Familiarity with the standard: BNQ 9700699 (or similar)
- Understanding of the laws and regulations governing funeral services
- Min 5 years’ experience delivering or managing funeral services
For detailed information on associated standards please visit https://www.iso.org/ics/03.080.30/x/
Wastewater Treatment Systems:
- Familiarity with associated standards
- Combine knowledge of physical, biological, and chemical processes of water treatment
- Min 5 years’ experience of water treatment and associated chemical and biological testing
- Upto-date knowledge of wastewater industry technology and classification
For detailed information on associated standards please visit https://www.iso.org/ics/13.030.20/x/
Hazardous Locations (HazLoc):
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience working with hazardous location equipment product certification is essential (IEC/EN 60079 series standards)
- A degree in electrical or mechanical engineering or relevant compliance experience in an industrial manufacturing business
- Experience in the interpretation and application of North American, IECEx and ideally ATEX requirements
- Experience as an inspector for SPE1000-13 and/or SPE -3000-15 preferred
- The ideal candidate will possess a Forestry degree or a suitable combination of education and minimum 5 years of working experience.
- Familiarity with inspection or processrelated experience in similar industry
- Expertise in adhesive systems and ultrasonic bonding processes
- Testing and calibration knowledge of paper and pulp industries process
- Knowledge of the agricultural, aquaculture and food processing industries
- Familiarity with agricultural best practices, issues, trends and developments in agrifood processing and/or agri-business development programs and services provided by both the private and public sector.
- Knowledge of soil, seed, crop and fertilizers including their testing, certification, inspection and verification process
- Familiarity with pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, fungicides and other agrochemicals in general
Anesthetic and Respiratory Equipment (Ventilators):
- Knowledge of electrically and battery powered suction equipment, medical piping systems, suction catheters for compressed medical gases and vacuum use in the respiratory tract
- Familiarity with basic safety and essential performance of gaspowered emergency resuscitators and requirements for emergency and transport ventilators
- Knowledge of design, construction, tests, colours, sizing, marking and/or performance of nebulizing systems and components, valve protection caps, guards and userapplied labels for syringes containing drugs used during anaesthesia
- Knowledge of compatibility with oxygen and biocompatibility evaluation of breathing gas pathways in healthcare applications along with flowmetering devices for connection to terminal units of medical gas pipeline systems
- Basic knowledge of tests and guidance for alarm systems in medical electrical equipment and medical electrical systems, along with safety and essential performance of sleep apnoea breathing therapy equipment in home healthcare environment
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience working with medical electrical equipment product certification is essential
- A degree in electrical or mechanical engineering or relevant compliance experience in certification and testing business
For detailed information on associated standards please visit https://www.iso.org/ics/11.040.10/x/
If you believe you could contribute to SCC as a technical expert in following fields, please submit your application below, including your resume, and a cover letter clearly demonstrating how your meet the essential qualifications associated for the technical area in question.
- To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter indicating which technical area you are applying for, and clearly demonstrating how you meet the Essential Qualifications listed in the role description.
- Your application must be submitted before the closing date.
- All applications will be considered; however, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
- We thank all candidates for their interest. Only those applicants whose qualifications are most relevant will be considered and contacted.