As the official sponsor of the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), the Standards Council of Canada (SCC) is seeking feedback on IEC’s proposal for the development of a new standards committee on Personal e-Transporters (PeTs). All responses submitted to SCC will serve to generate a Canadian position on the proposal.
Purpose and justification for new field of activity
There is a need for standardization when these devices are used on the roads/public space because these products are becoming more and more complex; they are appearing more on the public roads without proper testing and safety precautions; they are capable of speeds up to 25 km/h or even 40km/h (≈25 mph); and, they are becoming more and more popular because they are a fast and are an environmentally friendly mode of (public) transportation in big cities.
As such standardization intends to cover the following:
- Terminology for different PeTs
- Safety and reliability levels (both electrical and functional) which is dependent on the speed of the device and safety related to weight of the user, visibility on the road or public space where the device will be used ,
- Protection against fire, explosion and environmental hazards
- Docking stations for public use and specifications for these devices
- Interfaces when necessary to ensure functionality
- Testing methods for safety requirement
Scope of proposed technical activity
Standardization for use on the road or in the public space of electrically powered transport devices (i.e. no human (propulsion) power input) and where the speed control and/or the steering control is electrical/electronical.
Stakeholders are invited to consider the following when formulating a response:
- Do you agree to the proposal?
- If yes, why, and do you wish to participate should a mirror committee be established?
- If not, why not?
Deadline for survey submission
The SCC values your feedback on this proposal. Please fill out the Stakeholder feedback form no later than January 18, 2019.
For more information, please contact Daniel Ethier, IEC, SCC, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Standards Council of Canada is a federal Crown corporation with the mandate to promote efficient and effective standardization in Canada with the goal of enhancing Canada’s economic competitiveness and social well-being. It also accredits standards development and conformity assessment organizations. For more information on SCC’s programs visit www.scc.ca or email email@example.com.