In collaboration with key industry and government stakeholders, the Standards Council of Canada (SCC) is scoping the standardization landscape of various sectors of Canada’s economy. Work in this area is encouraged by the recognition that standardization can play an increased role in helping to advance the Canadian economy.
By mapping-out the key standards-related considerations and conditions affecting a specific subject area, SCC is providing a state of standardization on a sector-by-sector basis. These roadmaps, which enable affected stakeholders to consider existing sectorial gaps and opportunities in order to select applicable standards and accreditation solutions, are prepared by SCC through fee-for-service contracts.
Many government clients have already recognized the advantage of establishing standardization roadmaps as a means of making progress on their respective programs. In addition to providing recommendations based on meaningful analysis of standards and conformity assessment data, work on the roadmaps provides valuable occasions for stakeholder consultation and engagement.
Among the areas identified for potential ongoing roadmap support by SCC are: food safety, fuels infrastructure, smart grid, electric mobility, intelligent buildings and consumer product safety.
Following is a list of current and past initiatives:
- Northern Infrastructure Standardization Initiative (ongoing)
- Standardization Strategy for Canadian Consumer Product Safety (ongoing)
- Environmental Technology Verification Performance (ongoing)
Renewable Energy Generation Technologies and Services
- REGT standards review: lessons-learned report (July 2011)
- REGT Action Plan: For Engagement in Standardization Activities (March 2012)
- Deployment of Natural Gas for Canada (ongoing)
- Prioritization of ecoTechnologies for Next Generation Clean Transportation (ongoing)
Canadian Smart Grid Standards (ongoing)
- The Canadian Smart Grid Standards Roadmap (October 2012)
- Roadmap supporting a Cloud Computing Standardization Strategy for Canada (February 2011)
- Opportunities for the Canadian Standards System in the Agri-food Sector (November 2010)
How to participate
For more information on SCC Roadmaps and Standardization Solutions, Holly Hedd, Policy Engagement and Strategic Outreach Program Manager, at email@example.com.