The Standards Council of Canada's houses a comprehensive and up-to-date standards collection and a number of standards databases and bibliographic references.
Its technical document centre is located at the Standard Council of Canada's offices in downtown Ottawa and is open Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays) from 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
The majority of the documents are protected by copyright. You may not copy the standards without permission.
The technical document centre does not participate in the Federal Government Inter-Library Loan program.
Collections and search tools
We hold all major standards collections. Full-text standards can be consulted free of charge. If you do not know the reference number of a standard, you may use our standards databases or bibliographic search tools.
We have available all National Standards of Canada and current standards from:
- Le Bureau de normalisation du Québec (BNQ)
- Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB)
- CSA (including previously known CGA standards)
- Underwriters' Laboratories of Canada (ULC)
We also have an archive of withdrawn standards going back to early 1970s. This can be particularly useful in the case of legal arguments, or if someone needs to find information
We have available current standards from:
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
We have available foreign national standards from :
- Australia (SAI)
- France (AFNOR)
- Germany (DIN)
- Great Britain (BSI)
- Japan (JIS)
- United States (ASME, ASTM, NFPA, IEEE, UL)
- Draft standards developed by the Committee for European Standardization (CEN) and the European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization (CENELEC)
Bibliographic search tools
- IHS Specs and Standards: relevant industry standards and U.S. military specifications and other technical documents
- Perinorm: bibliographic information (title, number, committee, referenced standards, etc.) on standards and draft standards of ISO, IEC, CEN and CENELEC and foreign standards (BSI, AFNOR, DIN, UNI, etc.)
- ILI: tool for obtaining tables of contents and international equivalencies on standards from the industrial world
- CCOHS: federal and provincial health and safety acts and regulations